Pages

Monday 4 September 2017

More tests and trials

So last week I went to see the cardio-oncologist to get the results of my various heart tests. I was scheduled to have an echo test in the morning and then see the cardio-oncologist in the afternoon. I received a call from a research nurse asking me if I'd be interested in participating in a trial, to which I agreed (I'm always keen to contribute to medical science, as I am benefiting from it so much right now!). They were conducting a trial to see what type of heart test is the best type to use with cancer patients, so they wanted me to undergo a different type of test immediately before my echo test, and then they would compare the results. The trial test was an MRI heart test, where I had to lie in an MRI machine and hold my breath several times while the machine did its thing. Then I had my echo as expected, and then saw the cardio-oncologist. All the tests so far (including the heart monitor) show nothing out of the ordinary, so they are puzzled about my symptoms. They are going to investigate further, fitting me with a heart monitor for a whole week once I've had my next chemo, and they want me to come back and ride an exercise bike while hooked up to a heart monitor. Once again, I love the NHS for being so thorough, and it's good to hear that it doesn't seem to be cause for alarm.

Then today I had my pre-surgery tests: a mammogram, an ultrasound and an MRI. I'll discuss the results with my surgeon on 22 September when we'll plan my surgery. I've described these tests before so won't go into too much detail, except to remark on something. For the MRI I had to have a cannula inserted into the inside of my elbow so that they could inject the contrast dye during the testing, and they always flush a cannula with saline once it's in, just to test it. And the weird thing is, as soon as they inject the saline into my vein, I can taste it in my mouth! Isn't that strange? Fun fact.

So although I won't get the results from these tests for a while, the doctor who did my ultrasound told me the dimensions of my remaining cancerous lump, and it's 15% of its original size! And I still have one final chemo to go. So while the main purpose of chemo is to catch any stray cancer cells that have spread to other parts of the body, it's also shrunk my tumour to the point where surgery will be much less invasive than it would have been back in February.

Tanai drew the tumour sizes from my three ultrasounds, the original one, the half-way one and today's:


So tiny, I can no longer feel it. Here's to getting rid of it completely.

1 comment:

  1. Your whole attitude is uplifting and I am feeling really confident you have this thing beaten!! Love you Carmel and your positivity!! xxAlways in my thoughts xx

    ReplyDelete