Pages

Sunday 6 August 2017

Chemo 6, and the rollercoaster continues

This week was my 6th chemo session, leaving me with only 2 rounds left to go. It's somewhat strange as the majority of cancer patients I'm in touch with only have 6 chemo sessions in total, so here's where a lot of people get off the chemo train. But I get 2 extra doses of weedkiller so I'm not quite done yet. It's been an eventful few days, reminding me that this journey is never going to run smooth, but I'm doing okay, convalescing at home this weekend and waiting for the worst of the side effects to kick in.

On Monday I saw the oncologist as usual before my chemo session, to talk through how I am, and prepare anything different from the last time. I've seen three different oncologists from the team since my diagnosis, and for the last couple of rounds I've seen the head honcho guy, Prof. S___. He leads the team and is very distinguished in his field, having written heaps of papers and run lots of studies. He's a lovely chap with a friendly manner and a no-nonsense approach to what I'm going through. We discussed my little trip to A&E and I went through my notebook with all my new questions since last time (I write them down over the intervening weeks and go through them in my oncology session). We checked my bloods, and thanks to the GCSF injections my neutrophils were a healthy 5, so that was good. He then mentioned that he wasn't hugely happy about proceeding with chemo on Wednesday until I'd seen a dentist and could confirm 100% that I didn't have an abscess on my tooth. The risk is too great, apparently. So I left his office on Monday afternoon, having not registered with a dentist since returning from Australia, with a pretty hard deadline for getting my teeth checked out.

A cursory google and a few phonecalls later and I was booked into a dental clinic near the Barbican, near where I live, for the next morning. I had to shift some meetings around at work but I was so determined to avoid anything delaying my chemo schedule I became a little single-minded about it. Luckily, I hit the dentist jackpot. Not only is my new dentist lovely and efficient, she also happens to work in an NHS hospital as well as her private practice, and sees lots of cancer patients with teeth problems so completely knows her stuff. She had a thorough grounding of the impacts of chemo and radiotherapy on teeth, the key risks and things to look out for, and exactly what I should do in my situation. X-rays showed that I was abscess-free (yay!) so chemo could go ahead, but we have also come up with a plan for things we need to do between chemo and radiotherapy to ensure my teeth are impacted as little as possible by the effects of the rads. She has also prescribed me with high-fluoride toothpaste to protect my teeth from the effects of my cancer treatment, and she has given me a little blunt syringe so that I can get mouthwash into the niggling cracks around my wisdom tooth, to avoid an infection delaying chemo. I left feeling very happy and with a plan for October/November to ensure my teeth are also looked after through this.

Wednesday went ahead as planned, with my wonderful friend Caroline joining me on the chemo ward for a picnic lunch and a natter. I had the smiley nurses G___ and G___ again. Unfortunately, this was the first time they didn't get my cannula into a vein on the first go. It took 4 goes to find a vein as my poor little veins were collapsing, which was quite distressing (they ended up having to call the head nurse to do it!). I've been lucky so far and have had good veins, avoiding getting a PICC line fitted, but this time was tough, and I really hope my veins hold up to having 2 more rounds before I'm done. My hands are quite bruised now!


Selfie on the ward for chemo 6

As per last time I had quite a bit of energy (somewhat steroid-induced) for the couple of days following chemo, so I did some work and tried to keep busy. Then the rollercoaster came along again! I received a call on Thursday evening from my GP saying that UCLH had sent over a report following my visit to A&E and that they'd seen something a little worrying on my chest X-ray, so could I come in to see them. Friday morning I rock up at the GP and we go over how I am. She checked my breathing, asked me loads of questions about my heart, chest pain, the little flutter I've started to feel since shifting onto this new drug cocktail. She suspects that if the 'cluster' on the X-ray was the beginning of an infection, the antibiotics which I received at UCLH probably got rid of it, but she asked me to get another chest X-ray just in case. She also referred me for an ECG test (electrocardiogram) to check my heart is working as it should be. So I ended up spending most of Friday wandering round various hospitals of London (St Bart's and UCLH, because unfortunately the tests couldn't be done in the same hospital!) getting tests done. The results will be sent to my GP in the next few days, but hopefully it's not anything to worry about. To be honest, the main takeaway I had from all of this was a realisation of my GP's role in all of this. Each time I visit the oncology team, a letter gets typed up and sent to my GP, and of course they received the A&E report. Knowing that they are taking note of what's happening to me, and even called me when they thought something was awry, gives me great comfort as I go through this. Another example of our amazing NHS!


Display at UCLH of early anatomical drawings

This time around I have been given the GCSF injections in advance, so Tanai is administering a shot each day in my belly for the 3 days following chemo. Hopefully this should ensure that my neutrophils don't drop below the required levels and I can stick to my timeline. I've had my MRI booked in for early September, just before my last chemo, so that the surgeon has some up-to-date imagery to work from when planning my surgery, and I will meet with them before my last chemo. The light at the end of the chemo tunnel is finally visible, and I'm so ready to move onto the next stage of treatment: surgery. Chemo sucks, and I hope I never have to go through it again after all of this.


I now have my own sharps disposal unit for the used GCSF needles!

On Wednesday Tanai will go to Portugal, on the holiday we were supposed to be enjoying together, for his friend's wedding. I'll be sad to be without him for a week, and of course gutted that I miss out on a holiday and on meeting lots of his friends, but we have already started to plan some fun trips for next year, and soon we will have other holidays in the diary to look forward to. In the meantime, I have a host of friends who will hopefully swing by and see me during my week flying solo during treatment. Let's hope there's not another A&E visit next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment