Pages

Monday 24 July 2017

A&E & Neutropenia

So, I guess it had to happen at some stage, and you could tell from my last post that I suspected the time would come soon. Yesterday we spent the whole day in A&E at UCLH (University College London Hospital, my nearest hospital with an A&E department, as St Bart's doesn't have an A&E).

I have been experiencing bone pain with the Docetaxel, including pain in my teeth and jaw, but over the last few days the pain has become concentrated on my lower left wisdom tooth, and my cheek and mouth has become swollen in that area. By Saturday evening the pain was intense, so I called the chemo hotline. The chemo hotline is a phone number I can call if I'm experiencing anything in a list of symptoms and I get through immediately to a nurse on my chemo ward. The number is attended 24/7 and they do encourage you to ring no matter how trivial you think the call to be, as they can help you decide what to do. Generally, the answer is 'Go to A&E!' but at least you feel as though it's legit.

I called again on Sunday morning and although the nurse was quite keen that I see a dentist to check out what was wrong, she was more concerned about the possibility of me being neutropenic, so advised I get myself down to A&E. Tanai and I headed over to Euston Square station and UCLH, and with my chemo platinum card I was fast-tracked through the people who had arrived at A&E on foot.

They did general observations, blood pressure, took a blood and urine sample, took jaw and chest x-rays and gave me my own room. I saw a doctor who advised that the x-rays came up okay, and I didn't seem to have an infection, but that I was indeed neutropenic. My neutrophils were 0.5 ('normal' is between 2 and 7, anything less than 1 is neutropenic) so they considered keeping me hospital in for observation. Meanwhile they gave me morphine for the pain and some intravenous antibiotics in case my tooth had an infection. They sent one of their oncologists to see me, a lovely woman called Dr O___, and she asked me lots of questions. She decided to give me my first G-CSF injection (granulocyte colony stimulating factor), which stimulates the production of white blood cells in the bone marrow. I received that and a 2-week course of antibiotics to take at home, and was discharged.

In my room at UCLH

Today I popped into St Bart's to see the team, and they have given me some codeine for the tooth pain (I do still need to see a dentist) and 5 more G-CSF injections for me to take at home, in order to try to build up my neutrophils so I can still have my next chemo on schedule on 2 August. So tonight, Tanai became a different kind of Dr to the one he's used to being, and injected me with my G-CSF. He was a bit nervous, and so was I! You have to pinch a bit of your belly and jab it sharply into the flesh, and then push the liquid in (it doesn't go in a vein). Neither of us really knew what we were doing but we googled it and then just went for it! But now we know how it's done, the next few should be relatively easy. I will now get these injections each time I have chemo, in order to boost my neuts for the next round.

Dr Cardona in the house!

As I'm neutropenic they have also advised me to be cautious and not expose myself to infection, so I'm working from home this week and trying to get as much sleep as possible, to allow my body the best chance to recover. I keep taking my temperature regularly and if it goes above 37.5 I will call the hotline. It's touch and go whether I will need to go back to A&E this week, but hopefully these injections and the antibiotics will do their job. I'm a little nervous that the tooth problem is significant, as it's generally not advised to have a tooth extracted during chemo (due to the risk of infection), but we'll see what the dentist says (if I ever manage to register with one and get an appointment!). All in all, not the most fun weekend I've had, but at least it wasn't too dramatic.

1 comment:

  1. Hope the tooth settles down Carmel. So glad you have Tania there to give you the injections I can just picture you both googling what to do and going for it.
    Your blogs are written so well!
    Lots of love ��

    ReplyDelete