Pages

Saturday 15 July 2017

Stitching your parachute

My wonderful friend Dom accompanied me to my fourth round of chemo last month and while we were having a 5-hour natter about various things (we're both very good at talking!) he reminded me of the concept of 'stitching your parachute before you need it'. He couldn't remember if it was my advice in the first place or our mutual friend Caitlin's, but either way, it rang a bell for me and it's something I've been very aware of as I've researched the concept of resilience in light of my diagnosis. I suppose in very simple terms it refers to taking time to do the work of building your own personal and emotional resilience before you hit a crisis point. If you stitch up any holes in your parachute when you're happy and resting on the ground, it's ready for whenever you need it. If you leave it until you're in the tumbling aeroplane, it's too late, and it won't be adequate to save you.

As part of my own work looking after my mental health over the last few months, I've been pleased to discover that I'm already quite good at regularly stitching my parachute, and although I may not have had the vocabulary to describe it, self-care has always been something I've practiced. Whether it's something as simple as taking a Sunday evening bath, dropping some essential oils into the water and popping the Wittertainment podcast playing on my phone while I soak, or something as concerted as signing up to the Headspace app and resolving to practice 20 minutes of mindfulness each day, I've always taken time out for myself. I find walking incredibly restorative for my mental health, and would often walk the hour to and from work, pacing briskly and listening to a podcast or audio book, enjoying the changing seasons over the weeks. Cooking is another way I wind down and I usually cook my meals from scratch, enjoying the time it takes to prepare food, the creativity involved and the delicious rewards at the end. I often take myself round museums and galleries on my own, and enjoy 'me time' amongst the art or stories from other times and peoples. All these things are little ways over the years I've practiced self-care, taken some time for myself and shored up my mental health reserves.

Being resilient is not about being hard and impervious to the knocks and stresses life places upon you. It's about being flexible and able to cope in the face of adversity, to draw on internal strengths and those of the networks you've built around you. It means that when you suffer stress or trauma, you have the ability to adapt, to bend and stretch in the face of it, and to somewhat 'bounce back'. Importantly, however, it's not about being hard or unfeeling, or trying not to be affected by life's events; it's more about allowing the stress or trauma to take you in an unexpected new direction and allowing yourself to go with it, and not try to force your life, or yourself, to be a certain way.

With wonderful serendipity, just after my diagnosis my employer teamed up with the mental health charity, Mind, and decided to roll out some Emotional Resilience training for all staff in the organisation. We had an interesting presentation and were given time to think about what was in our 'resilience toolbox'. We discussed the pillars of resilience, and how we can cultivate emotional resilience in our lives and more effectively manage stress. There were some really useful tips in the presentation and it definitely made me think about this whole thing in a different way. Interestingly, it advocated writing as a way to step back from negative thoughts and get some distance. The presentation summarised the five ways to wellbeing thus:

Give: your time, your words, your presence
Keep learning: embrace new experiences, see opportunities, surprise yourself
Be active: do what you can, enjoy what you do, move your mood
Connect: talk and listen, be there, feel connected
Take notice: remember the simple things that give you joy

I think these are all small things that can contribute to positive mental health, and a stock of resilience for when life gets touch. They are great ways of stitching up one's parachute in preparation.

Another thing I've started to read about is post-traumatic growth, and positive psychology. These are theories about things you can put in place to ensure you grow from adversity, rather than being beaten down by it and suffering post-traumatic stress disorder. The theories acknowledge that post-traumatic stress is inevitable, following something as traumatic as a cancer diagnosis, but that there are measures we can put in place to deal with this stress, to go with it, and to emerge at the end with increased strength, wellbeing, and a practical pathway to positive change. It all sounds rather pop-psych but I do think there's some truth in it all, and I'm interested in reading more. One book I read summarised five dimensions of post-traumatic growth:

Recognise and use personal strengths
Nurture closer relationships
Enjoy a greater appreciation of life
Search out and embrace new possibilities
Deepen spiritual development

Again, all great advice, which according to Aristotle, can lead to a form of happiness called Eudaimonic wellbeing, which is particularly flourishing and fulfilled. Well, we'll see about that, at this stage I'm just grateful to be engaging in these thoughts, to continue to function at work and at home, and to cultivate hope and optimism while I'm going through this. With chemo side-effects robbing me of many of my usual forms of self-care (no energy to walk, changed tastebuds affecting my enjoyment of food, lack of sleep etc) it's taking most of my strength just to get through each day. I'll save the real rebuilding work until I'm done with active treatment.

A running theme through a lot of the things I've been reading around this topic is the importance of building strong networks around you. I've always had a huge capacity for friendship and have cultivated relationships with people all over the world throughout the years. This is undoubtedly a huge source of strength for me at the moment, as I receive messages, gifts, thoughtful cards and offers of assistance from many of you, my global team of cheerleaders as I navigate this particularly tricky time. Even when I have a wobble, you've got my back, so thanks everyone. You're the best tool in my resilience toolkit. (Naw!)

6 comments:

  1. Great post honey! The LA contingent of your cheerleading squad thinks of you often and send positive light and live your way! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon! Feeling the LA love from here. xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this post Carmel. It has made me consider a few stitches I have yet to sew.

    Sending you good vibes for the rest of your journey. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it. Happy stitching! xox

      Delete
  3. Never doubt the power of Wittertainment <3

    ReplyDelete