Pages

Friday 21 June 2019

Cancer survivorship course and lymphedema clinic

It's been a week since my second round of chemo and I'm doing well, despite not taking my steroids this time. As with last time, the first couple of days were fine, I felt well and had loads of energy. Then days 3-5 (Saturday to Monday) I felt pretty rubbish, the nausea kicked in and the fatigue hit me. Unfortunately, as I hadn't planned on this week being a chemo week (but my treatment was delayed) I had made quite a few plans. Lunches, coffees and dinners with friends and visitors from overseas. I soldiered on through them all, and then crashed on Sunday, exhausted. I tried to make it into work on Monday but the nausea was overwhelming, so as soon as I arrived I had to turn around again and come home. But by Tuesday morning I felt fine again and I have been doing okay since then, cycling into work, or walking home, trying to ensure my resting heart rate doesn't creep back up too much.

My hair is doing really well too. I'm loving my new hair style. A few strands of hair come out each time I wash my hair, but nowhere near as bad as the clumps that were falling out when I had chemo in 2017. I'm restricting myself to only washing my hair twice a week to minimise hair loss, so hopefully I'll get to the end of chemo with just a bit of thinning. I did keep all of my headscarves from last time I had chemo, but it's nice not to have to use them again. Although I have been wearing some of them as regular scarves, as they're so beautiful!
New earrings!

On Monday evening I started an online course on 'Cancer Survivorship' which I think is going to be interesting. It's from 7-9pm on Monday evenings and we all join each other from all over the country via Zoom, an online meeting software. It's for people of any gender, age and cancer type, and includes participants with primary and secondary cancer. It has four main components, focussing on our psychological, physiological, immunological and emotional health. It's run by a passionate, knowledgeable and enthusiastic guy called Sam and he has run this within the NHS before, and many times online. It's evidence-based, but also rooted in positive psychology and influenced by ayurvedic medicine. He cites some incredible case studies to back up his advice, and over the next few weeks we will gain lots of knowledge and techniques, which I'm looking forward to. The intro session laid the foundations, focussing a lot on positive psychology, and how we can use our minds to determine some incredible physical outcomes. I think it will be really useful, I'll keep you posted.

Joining the class

This week I also had my appointment at the lymphedema clinic, where I saw a nurse who gave me some advice about the swelling I now have around my pelvis and abdomen following the removal of my pelvic lymph nodes. She has taught me some 'MLD', or manual lymphatic drainage, which is basically where you perform massage on various parts of your body to encourage the lymph to drain and reduce swelling. She also gave me some kinesiology tape, and showed me how to stick it from my back around to my stomach, so that it massages my lymph around my body while I'm walking along. She has also ordered me some compression tights which should help, and she told me to buy some cheap spanx-type shorts to create more compression around that area. LOL. I also have to get a gel cover for my bike saddle to protect my lady parts from problems caused by my surgery. She said that you can pay to have manual lymphatic drainage done privately by experts, but that it's better to try to get someone to teach me techniques so that I can ensure I'm doing this frequently and getting maximum benefit. 

Tanai heads off to Colombia for 3 weeks on Wednesday, so I'll be home solo for a while. I've got a few little bits and bobs planned but I'm hoping to have a relaxed summer and continue to recover from my surgery and build my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment