Pages

Saturday 10 June 2017

Neutropenia and immunocompromise

The few friends and colleagues I've explained this to have suggested I spread the news more widely, so here's a little post about one of the biggest risks I face over the coming months while I'm going through chemotherapy. As I mentioned in my last post, the chemo drugs attack rapidly dividing cells (such as cancer cells) and while the cancer cells can't repair themselves very well, the healthy cells in your body (which also take a battering from the chemo) use the three weeks between treatments to rebuild themselves and recover as much as possible. As well as the hair follicles, the cells in my bone marrow and blood are also being attacked. As the chemotherapy medicines damage the bone marrow, the marrow is less able to produce red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. The most significant impact is on my white blood cells, or neutrophils, which are your body's first line of defence against germs, viruses and infections. Because the chemo is attacking my body's own defence system, I am what is known as 'immunocompromised' during treatment, which means I have a suppressed immune system.

But this doesn't just mean I may have the inconvenience of catching a cold or cough. This is actually a potentially life-threatening situation. If my neutrophil count goes below a certain critical level, I have what is called neutropenia, or neutropenic sepsis; I will not be able to fight off a virus or infection, and will require urgent treatment should I be unlucky enough to catch something. I have been told that if this happens, I need to immediately go to A&E and will be put on intravenous antibiotics, and probably also have a blood transfusion. Not only that, but I have a special card that I have to carry around at all times, kind of like an A&E Platinum card, which enables me to bypass the queue for treatment should I be unlucky enough to end up in the emergency room.


Many of the women I have chatted to in my various support groups have ended up with neutropenic sepsis at least once during chemo, some being hospitalised for a few days. So I've been bracing myself for it to happen at some stage during treatment. As treatment progresses, it becomes more likely, because the chemo is cumulative, so my neutrophil count is getting lower and lower as I go along.

Each chemo cycle I have my blood tested a couple of days before I go in for treatment, and they will only proceed if my counts are good enough. If they are too low, I will either get a lower dose of chemo drugs, or they will delay. My first bloods (back in mid-April) were:

Neutrophils: 4.4
White Blood Cells: 7.1

My second lot in early June were:

Neutrophils: 3.7
White Blood Cells: 6.1

And my third tests just before the last chemo were:

Neutrophils: 2.6
White Blood Cells: 4.5

As you can see, the neutrophils and white blood cell counts are slowly getting lower and lower each time. Immediately after chemo they are very low: in the 5-8 days following chemo I am at much greater risk of neutropenic sepsis, and then as I eat well, sleep well, look after myself and my body heals itself, the counts start to climb again and stabilise as much as possible before I have my next treatment. If my neutrophils go below 1 it means I am at a critical level, and if they are lower than 0.5 I basically need to have a stay in A&E.

Now I've always had a great immune system, I rarely get ill and I am quite cavalier in my approach to infection. I mean, I'm clean and hygienic, but I'm not obsessed or anything. Until now. Things are now very different. I am being very careful about what I touch and keeping everything very sanitary. As soon as I get in to work or home I wash my hands, and I'm carrying hand sanitiser everywhere. I am avoiding eating out, and if I do, I'm eating very 'safe' things (things cooked very thoroughly on a high heat, avoiding prepared salads etc). I'm making my own lunch for work every day, using my own crockery and cutlery, using my own water bottle all day, and avoiding food prepared by others. My colleagues are being amazing, they have had a 'spring clean' of their desks, they are all making sure the windows are open to let in air circulation and if any of them feel at all unwell they are staying at home, to avoid me catching anything. I've changed my contact lenses to dailies so that I don't have to put the same lenses back in my eyes each day, thus reducing the risk of infection. I never eat in public or put my hands or fingers in my eyes or mouth (it's amazing how much I used to do that!) and I never touch anything on the tube. I'm so much more conscious of small things now, such as other people on the tube coughing or sneezing, the wonders of a dishwasher for making sure things are really clean, the cleanliness of chopping boards and the joys of contactless payment for reducing my need to handle germy cash.

I'm also avoiding small children (aka germ factories) as they are some of the biggest risks as I go through treatment. When Tanai had a cold last week he was quarantined on the couch and I wouldn't let him prepare any food (and no kisses for a week, torture!). Basically, I'm being very conscious of all the things I can do to reduce risk, and hoping that those around me are doing the same on my behalf. So thank you for avoiding me if you have a cold, and thanks for being understanding by keeping your kids away until I am no longer immunocompromised. Auntie Carmel will be back in service in a few months.

In other news, I'm on the mend after Chemo #3, and have been back at work for a couple of days this week. It was a tough round, this round, I had severe nausea and fatigue, yet couldn't sleep at all for about 4 nights, which made it very difficult. I was listless and had a fog behind my eyes for days, and the cognitive impairment lasted almost a week, until I felt I had a clear head again. Still, I'm over a third of the way there, and after my next chemo I get to have another ultrasound to see how much the lump has shrunk.

Back at the beginning of treatment I found out that a friend of a friend had named her lump 'Donald' and Tanai jokingly suggested I should name mine 'Theresa'. At the time, I was convinced she'd win this week's election by a landslide and therefore jinx my ability to get rid of my lump, so I declined. How wrong I was! Theresa was perhaps a more apt name for my lump than I had anticipated. Her strength is certain vastly reduced, how delightful.

2 comments:

  1. It seems obvious now, but I didn't really think through how immuno-compromised a person would be. I am glad you are taking care of yourself and even though I haven't met him, I really love Tanai. Thanks for looking after our pearl mate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such an interesting post honey, I'm glad your friends at work suggested you post about it. I had no idea but yet it obviously makes perfect sense. Good on you for doing absolutely everything you can. Xx

    ReplyDelete