Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2019

Breast surgery postponed

Today I went to see my breast surgeon, Miss L____, for an appointment we had scheduled a while ago. The original plan was for me to have my preventative oophorectomy back in February, recover from that, write my masters dissertation, and then have my preventative double mastectomy in September. As you know. things have not gone quite to plan, and I'm now recovering from much more major surgery, and undergoing a course of chemotherapy.

Miss L____ gave me a brief breast examination, and didn't find anything untoward. She then caught up with the various things I've done since we last saw each other, in preparation for my surgery. I've discussed all my options with my Breast Care Nurse and decided to opt for a bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction. I've had my medical photos taken (these were taken at the Royal London Hospital and it was a very strange experience, almost like a fashion shoot! And there was me, naked from the waist up, in front of all the professional photography lights having my 'before' photos taken!). And I've seen the Cancer Psychologist, to get signed off for not having reconstruction.

Today's news was slightly annoying. Apparently when someone has had such serious surgery as I've just had, they like to wait at least 2 years before performing any further elective surgery. Two years! That would mean I cannot have my breasts removed until April 2021. As you can imagine, my recent second cancer diagnosis has made me feel a sense of urgency about getting my breasts removed. I know that this BRCA gene mutation is lethal, and my boobs feel like two ticking timebombs attached to my chest! I just want to get rid of them ASAP. So we talked through everything, and I have a lot of things going in my favour. I'm young, fit, a non-smoker, and I'm recovering well from my recent surgery. Also I'm doing well with the carboplatin so far. And I don't want reconstruction, so the surgery I'm opting for is less major than if I was having reconstruction. Apparently they have a big meeting once a quarter with all of the consultants from all the different departments, kind of like an uber-MDM, where both the gynae team and the breast team will attend, so they are going to discuss my case in the next meeting, at the beginning of July. Miss L____ knows that I'd like to have the surgery as soon as possible so she will put my case forward, and they will discuss when is the earliest possible time they're happy to operate. And fingers crossed it is not too far away!

In the meantime, she's going to check that my annual MRI, mammogram and ultrasound are all booked in for October, so that I can at least get some peace of mind that there's nothing sinister growing in there in the meantime. And I'm going to see her again in September once I'm finished with chemo, so we can talk about next steps, and hopefully get a date in the diary. It's a bit disappointing as I was keen to get it done, out of the way, and be on the road to proper recovery, with all treatment (hopefully) behind me. But of course I want to do what's right for my body, and to get the balance right of reducing my risk of a new cancer, while also ensuring my body has had enough time to recover from my recent surgery. So for now, I shall wait.

In other news, I am planning to go back to work on Monday. I've been off work for 3 months in total, which feels like an incredibly huge amount of time, but I really needed that time to recover from both surgeries. I'm going to work through chemo as I did before, and I've moved my day off each week to Thursdays (as I only work 4 days a week) to accommodate my chemo treatment every 3 weeks, and I will work from home on Fridays on my chemo weeks. I will also have some flexibility if I get hit by cancer-related fatigue, in that I can take short days if necessary. My employers have been incredibly supportive throughout this whole malarkey, which is great. I'm excited about going back, I have missed work a lot, and my team especially, but I am also quite nervous. I've never had such a long time off work before and I know that lots of things have changed since I left back at the end of February. Some people that I worked closely with have left, and others have been hired in my team who I've never met. I've also been spending my days doing very low-key activities, such as reading, crocheting, doing little walks. And taking afternoon naps! All this has been essential for my recovery, as I have prioritised physical healing and my mental health. But now I have to get back up to speed, pick up the pace of life I had before and go back to my leadership role. Hopefully I will get back to it like a duck to water, but there will be butterflies on Monday morning for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment