Pages

Tuesday 9 April 2019

At home recovering

Reading over my last post, I sounded a little down, which I think is understandable given that I was in so much pain, feeling incredibly sleep-deprived, and completely immobile. Now that I am home and slowly regaining my strength, my spirits are also rising. It's so great to be back in my own bed, although I'm having broken sleep, and I'm still not able to really do much more than occasionally move from the couch to the bathroom and back. I'm slowly regaining my appetite, and the doctor has recommended I eat a protein-rich diet to help my wound heal, so I'm trying to make sure I eat lots of protein. I have a craft project on the go, as I'm still not really ready to focus on reading a book just yet, and I'm listening to the fifth Tales of the City book on audible. Tanai is working from home this week and basically doing everything around the house, as I'm not allowed to lift anything and can't even bend over to pick something up off the floor. He's being a total legend.

Eating lunch at home

I want to take a moment to acknowledge how incredible our NHS is. For those of you not UK-based, this is the National Health Service, a 70-year-old institution funded by our taxes, which provides universal healthcare free at the point of delivery for all people residing in the UK. I received all my treatment for breast cancer through the NHS and now I'm having my ovarian cancer treatment with them too. I haven't paid a penny and won't need to pay anything, which I know differs markedly from the healthcare provisions in other countries. Having cancer is stressful enough without having to worry about getting into massive debt to pay for healthcare! Yes, their systems and processes need updating (it's very paper-based) and they are being run into the ground due to chronic underfunding by the Tory government and a major shortage of nurses due to Brexit, but it's still (just about) creaking on, and I am so incredibly grateful. They are saving my life for a second time.

I stayed in hospital for 6 days after my surgery. Each day the NHS worked like clockwork around me and the other patients on my ward. I had my temperature and blood pressure checked hourly in the first few days, and every 3 hours once I had stabilised. The doctors did their rounds in the morning, assessed me, and revised their judgements about when I should go home. My bed linen was changed every morning and I had a little wash and donned a fresh gown. All my meals were provided, as well as regular coffees, teas, hot chocolates. The food is a bit like school dinners, and consisted mainly of overcooked, bland vegetables with questionable meat, but it was nutritious, and also free. The nurses work in 12-hour shifts, a day team and a night team, so there is round the clock care. I had a buzzer on my bed which I could press at any time, and a nurse would come and attend me, so when I was feeling incredible pain at 3am, someone came and brought me liquid morphine to ease the pain. My wound dressings were removed by two student nurses under the supervision of the ward nurse, which they did very well, and they thanked me for allowing them to get experience doing this as it all counts towards their nursing qualifications. And when I was discharged, I was given a massive bag of meds: 3 different types of pain relief to last me 7 days, the rest of the course of antibiotics they have put me on, some tablets to prevent stomach ulcers due to the pain relief, anti-sickness tablets, and 28 little injections that I have to inject myself in my belly for a month to prevent blood clots (due to being immobile). Once again, no payment exchanged hands for these. 

They do so many thankless tasks, changing my bag of pee when I had a catheter, turning and lifting people who are immobile, dealing with people who are cranky and distressed, and in one instance, racist (the lady next to me was on the phone complaining to her husband about how 'all the nurses were blacks'!), and they are paid in some instances less than the London Living Wage. It makes me so angry that we live in a culture which values care work and other vital professions, such as teaching, on such a low level, and yet values other types of work (eg banking, politics) so highly. Our society relies on people in the caring professions to have some kind of 'vocation', and to do the job because they love it, not for the money. This is fine, I've never been particularly motivated by money, but you need to pay people a decent living wage. One of my chemo nurses quipped that she would be better off getting a job in retail as it pays more and is less stressful than nursing! And this is being borne out by the numbers of people leaving the profession, and the reduction in people applying to train. Last year there was a shortage of 70,000 nurses applying for job in the NHS. Brexit has a lot to do with this, as Europeans are uncertain of their rights to work here, but also other non-Brits are feeling less and less welcome in the UK. I would say, over the two years of being treated for cancer, around 10% of the people caring for me have been British. The NHS would fall apart without migrant workers, and that is exactly what it is doing. I am witnessing it crumbling from the inside. The nurses and doctors are all so overworked, you can feel the strain on them of being short staffed. They are all having to cover each other's duties and it's taking its toll. It's incredibly tragic to see, but with the continuing conservative governments and their ongoing privatisation of NHS services, I don't see how this trend can be reversed. I feel lucky to be getting my treatment in the twilight years of the NHS, and hope that I can once again be cancer-free before it totally falls apart.

I'm going to post a photo of my scar at the bottom of this post, so don't scroll down if you're squeamish, as it's quite a Frankenstein-esque scar! I have 42 industrial-sized staples in there, which I need to get removed at my GP on Friday. Then next Wednesday I go back to clinic to see my surgeon and find out the pathology of all the elements they have removed, and get the next steps. Until then, it's a glacial recovery, slowly getting stronger and more mobile each day.












































 What a scar!

No comments:

Post a Comment