Pages

Tuesday 14 March 2017

Vacuums

Today I was back at St Bart's for some new biopsies, as my tests thus far have proved inconclusive (see previous post). My radiologist today was Dr D___, the first male doctor to treat me and definitely the most formal. So far, every single NHS employee who has met me has looked me in the eye and said 'Hello, my name is...' and used their first name. (Which, as an aside, has an incredible effect on me. I feel like a real person and not just someone on a conveyor belt. It creates a connection, however fleeting, and does wonders for your wellbeing.) This chap said 'Hello, my name is Dr D___', surname, not first name, so I knew there was no messing with him. Business rules apply.

I still had my usual cheery disposition though. For some reason, I have no idea why this happens, I put on this kind of goofy cheery persona when I'm seeing medical professionals. I almost apologise for being ill and taking up their time, and laugh at how silly this all is. I marvel at the science behind all of their medicine, asking loads of questions and being inquisitive about the details, while looking away during any procedure. Perhaps this is my nervous way of coping with it, but I'm sure it comes across as a little strange.

Today's biopsies were different from the previous ones, as these were 'vacuum biopsies'. They used a bigger needle than last time (we're talking industrial size, the length of your forearm and thicker than a fork prong) that was hooked up to a computer, which vacuumed out slices of tissue (ew, gross). I had the usual series of local anaesthetic beforehand so it was pain-free but the noises were weird. No clicking this time though. Afterwards the doctor put 2 little titanium clips inside my boob to mark where they'd taken the biopsies, just in case they need to go back in, or operate. Bionic woman!

No results today, so I'm back at home and catching up on some work. 


Here's a photo of a knackered looking me on the sofa with a bag of frozen peas pressed against my boob. Classy.

Today as we left the hospital Tanai declared that he's decided my pirate name is 'Black Boob Carmel', in honour of my incredibly bruised boob. He has a fantastic ability to make me laugh, even when things are shit. When I asked him what I should call this blog he thought about it for quite some time and then replied, in all sincerity: 'The Inevitability of Biology'. He's such a dork, but I love him, and I feel strong through this with him by my side.

Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment